Sunday, June 10, 2007

why I disagree with courting

I made the following post on my favorite message board. I plan to do a series on my views about dating soon.

I disagree that "casual" dating leads to a divorce mentality and sexual activity. I have no problem casually dating someone. While I never would waste my time dating someone I could not even think of marrying, I don't feel like I'm giving my heart away to every guy I meet.

I am anything but promiscuous. I am very proud of the fact that I am waiting for marriage (and in fact have kissed very few guys) and actually try to mentor a lot of younger girls to let them know you can have fun, meet guys but not have sex (I'm in a sorority for goodness sakes!)- and by no sex I mean NO sex. Nothing you wouldn't be ashamed of doing if your parents were in the room (which for me is only a quick kiss).

I value my parent's input and listen to what they have to say. But honestly I feel that if I'm mature enough to pay my own bills (my house rent at school, my cell phone, car insurance, books, etc), take care of myself and lead a productive life, than I can make proper adult decisions in terms of my relationships.

My parents have raised me well and in a Christian home. I don't automatically lose my morals because a cute guy is in the room.

But to answer the original question I would not date a non-Christian. Jesus is the center of my life. I could not share my life with someone who did not feel the same way.

No comments:

Online Dating